Sport is an integral part of school life here at Warthill C of E Primary. The school is committed to supporting every child to be physically active and positive attitudes towards healthy and active lifestyles are encouraged among all pupils. In the past school year children have had the opportunity to access a wide range of sporting and physically based activities developing new skills through PE lessons, after school clubs and intercommunity sporting festivals and competitions. Experts within their field have been used to promote a high standard of skill; football coaching from York City Football Club, Tag Rugby from York City Knights Rugby League, Tae Kwon Do, Street Dance Club, Volleyball Gymnastics and more.
Numerous children of all age ranges have represented the school across a range of sport including Cross Country, athletics, football, rugby, bench ball and cricket. This not only develops our children’s sporting ability but also their social skills, confidence and self-esteem. High standards of behaviour are expected within PE lessons, at play times and at all attended events. All adults within the school community are committed to this continuing into the future.
This deep commitment to excellence in sport across the federation has been sustained and developed by the Government Sports Premium Funding 2013 – 2017 allowing the following sports programme to be in place:
- Weekly specialist sports coaching for all children in age appropriate groups.
- Inter school sports competitions organised through Huntington Secondary, School, Norton Primary School and our Small Schools Cluster.
- Two specialist sports teachers who organise festivals and competitions across the schools whilst being available for CPD opportunities and support for non-specialist staff.
- Programme of Extracurricular sport provided by external and internal providers open to all children. Currently these include: Tag rugby, Football, Dance, Volleyball, Tennis.
- Programme of PE teacher training students coaching in school.
Football Club with Mr Liam Holmes of Total Sports 3:30-4:30
Ceramics with Melissa Jackson 3:30-4:30
Total energy 3:30 - 4:30
Tennis Club run by Damien Galloway 8-9am
Archaeology run by Mrs Jebson 3:30-4:30
Karate with Mrs Drysdale : 3:30-4:30
Hockey club 3:30-4:30
Cookery Club run by Mrs Harrison and Mrs Capstick